Paying Too Much in Child Support? Not receiving enough in Child Support? Byrnes Law Firm Can Help!

A Court may order one parent to pay child support to the other parent at the time of the parents’ divorce. Many factors are considered when the Court determines an appropriate amount for child support including the reasonable expenses of the parties in raising the child, the percentage of time that the parent paying child support has the child for overnight visits each year, as well as the incomes of each parent at the time of the divorce. Although the amount may have been appropriate at the time of the divorce, circumstances can and usually do change over time. Parents may lose their employment or increase their salary, remarry or have additional children, or the visitation schedule may have changed. If there has been a substantial and continuing change in your circumstances so that the original amount of child support ordered is now unreasonable, it is possible to go back to the Court and request a modification of the amount of child support to more accurately reflect your circumstances now! If your circumstances have changed, the amount that you pay or receive for child support should change too. Call Byrnes Law Firm today for a free consultation on how to request a modification of your child support order.

In all divorce cases, if there are any children under the age of 18, child support will be addressed. Child Support is the monies that court order one or even both parents to pay to support their child or children.

Factors in Determining Child Support Payments

In the state of Missouri, both parents are legally responsible for the financial support of their child or children. Child support payments are based on the monthly gross incomes of both parents and the amount of time each parent physically spends with their child or children. Missouri has a child support calculator that can be used to determine child support. However, to properly determine child support it is best to speak to an family attorney that specializes in child support and family law. There are numerous other factors that come in to play when figuring out child support payments.

Those include but are not limited to:

Modifying Child Support

Most child support payments will stop at the age of 18, but can last longer if the child goes to post-secondary school.

Child Support can be modified if certain aspects have changed since your agreement was finalized. These are listed below but not limited to:

How We Can Help With Your Child Support Modification

If you think you have a reason to modify your child support, call Byrnes Law Firm and we can address your questions to see if the time is right for you to seek a child support modification. There is also a need for representation if you do not believe you should have the amount you pay increase through a child support modification.

If you have questions regarding your current child support settlement or are in need of help with your unpaid child support payments, give Byrnes Law Firm a call and see what Anna can do for you. We want to help you reach the best solution for you and your family.

What Clients Say

  • You were always my go to. Thanks for taking care of me, and caring that I could take care of myself!
    - Matthew Krueger
  • Being in a courtroom can be very scary, unfortunately I speak from experience. Best feeling in the world is not having to worry when you know you have Bill in your corner!
    - Joel Wallschleager
  • This will be my next lawyer if I ever need one. I have seen him in action in Warrenton. If anyone ever needs a lawyer and cannot find his number let me know. It’s on my refrigerator!
    - Elaine Frei